June 05, 2012

I MADE these! Myself! - An approach to stretchy knits

Yesterday in my post about my new wig, I mentioned that I was venturing into the scary world of sewing in stretchy knits. I had found an easy end cute pattern for a t-shirt in one of my crafts magazines, and had some striped knit in my stash, and after reading this great post by Lauren (Lladybird) with tips about sewing knits, I set out.

I know I should have, but I didn't pre-launder the fabric I used, I don't think it will shrink that much and besides it's really stretchy. It's in black and white stripes. I cut a size EU 46 and the only alteration to the pattern that I made was to lengthen it with an inch.

The instructions were simple and nothing was difficult, but I had to pin carefully because the edges curled otherwise. The instructions called for strips of fusible interfacing around the neckline, before hemming which made it very easy to get a nice, even neckline. I really recommend it. I used zig-zag to sew the pieces together and the twin needle for hemming the neckline, sleeves and bottom.

And here it is, my first me-made T-shirt ever: (Please excuse the lack of make-up on my face... :))




Click the pictures to see bigger pictures and details.

I was so happy with the result, even though I busted my twin needle in the middle of sewing the neckline (I never seem to learn to take out the pins and not just run them over when sewing). So, I just had to make another one straight away, so while I went to the fabric store to pick up a new twin needle I also bought some more knit fabric!

I made some changes for the second T-shirt. I changed the top half to a size EU 42 including the sleeves, which I also lengthened with half an inch.




I almost can't believe that I have MADE my own T-shirts! And they look great too. I'm really glad I dared to sew knits. Maybe I will make some T-shirts for the kids too....

On another note, only a little sewing-related, I bought a new pair of jeans today, since I couldn't be bothered to try to make my own. They are perfect! High waist, stretchy, narrrow legs, nice colour and great pockets that draw attention away from my hips!!!!! I really recommend the store Zizzi if you live in Sweden or anywhere else you might find it. They have clothes from size EU 42, so it's for bigger women, like me... The jeans cost a small fortune, but totally worth it! So I just have to show them off (with new T-shirt tucked in, and please excuse the lack of belt):



Anyone who have actually sewn jeans for themselves? Anyone who have tried, and maybe given up, like me? Does anyone have a favourite T-shirt pattern to recommend?

Well, I'm off to watch the next episode of Alcatraz.

Bye for now,

Johanna



11 comments:

  1. They look flawless, I have made one t-shirt with stretchy knit, I may have to try some more now. Green is a great colour on you. New jeans look like a perfect fit, it is so hard to find the right jeans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try another T-shirt, my pattern was so fast and easy, really instant gratification! By the way, green is my go to-colour, it always works, do you have one?

      Delete
    2. I think mine is probably Red, I do love a bit of green too though. x

      Delete
    3. I thought you would have said pink actually.... I think you look really good in that pink chambray blouse, that's why.

      Delete
  2. I haven't tried making t-shirts yet, I have made a mini dress and a maxi dress using knits and it was fun! Kinda like a break to try something new. I like the green stripes for sure, they are really popular right now, stripes I mean. I'm boring I guess, black is always my go to, and any neutrals, it works for redhair I think. tee hee hee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you must try making a t-shirt, it was super easy and fast! And you don't have to use a twin needle, you can use the zig zag for the sleeve, neckline and hem too.
      Before, when I had hair, I used to wear more neutral colours too, but now I just seem to fade away, so I've started to wear more bright colours. It makes me feel good!

      Delete
  3. How do you use a twin needle? I'm in the dark on that one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to have an actual twin needle, then you just put it where the needle goes in the machine. And you have to have two spools of thread, I usually just take a spool and a bobbin with the same thread on it. You have a bobbin where it usually goes too (= a total of one spool of thread and two bobbins). You thread the machine with two threads together except in the needle where one goes in each needle. On the top it looks like two separate stitches and underneath it kind of looks like zig zag. Try it, it looks very professional! (Hope you understand my explanation..) :)

      Delete
  4. I think I got it...I somehow acquired a twin needle (and other parts to my machine I have no idea what they are used for). Anyhow I was wondering how you use them. I think that would work great on hems of knits. How were the sleeves to put on...you put a gather at the top of yours didn't you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, sorry I haven't replied.. But, yes the sleeves are gathered at the top, not much but about 2-2,5 inches. Now try out the twin needle, it fun and looks so good!

      Delete
  5. Both nice but I prefer the second tee, red/white strips. So lovely, doesn't look made at all. Well done.

    ReplyDelete